Wednesday, October 29, 2008

RESIGNATION TO MY COLOMBIAN CITIZENSHIP DUE TO RACIST’S ISSUES

In this writing, I hereby give up my Colombian citizenship due to racist’s issues, taking in consideration the fallowing reasoning: I have always sustained that racism makes part of the past, as it has been replaced by social class differences. See article at: http://wwwbloggercom-ocastillo.blogspot.com titled “Racial Problem vs. Social Class Difference” from May 28, 2008. Nonetheless, I have been receiving shameful information through Colombia’s mass media that demonstrates the fact that this country has strong resistance to accept this social change. It was said that in Bogota and Cartagena some owners of certain bars did not allow the entrance of blacks, using the anachronistic and outrageous warning “reserved admission”. Consequently, these owners were sued by the rejected blacks and Colombia’s Supreme Court ruled, condemning the racists to apologize to the victims.

Although, I was born, grew up, studied and worked in a delectable family and social environment and was not a victim or witness of racial discrimination, I have never felt pride of being Colombian as this country is characterized by two negative notions: its inherent abhorrence for its own history, and the fact that each person believes to belong to a superior social class to others. The former is because history obligates Colombian people to remember where they come from and the latter is due to feelings of superiority over persons they consider to be inferior to them; blacks and Indians. This is the reason why Colombians are mentally and spiritually absolutely convinced of being white. For this reason, when a racial situation is raised, all Colombian people consider themselves whites, and exclude those who cannot hide their black and Indian race. In my opinion, the “white” Colombian population does not reach 1 % of people who do not have black or Indian”blood”. I recall how outraged, offended, insulted and humiliated the Colombian’s population felt in the eighties when an American Ambassador said, in a open, relaxed and informal conversation that Colombia was a country of mestizos and mulatos.

In this order of ideas, the racial and social confusion among the Colombian population is reflected in the ridiculous and humiliating ruling of the Colombian Supreme Court. The Court knows that asking for an apology does not help to eradicate the racial hatred of these criminals; on the contrary, it stimulates it, as it occurs with negative political campaigning. The Court, with this kind of ruling, is cynically sending the blacks whom were harmed psychologically and morally to be killed by these criminals.

My articles in Spanish will be published on Sundays and in English on Wednesdays.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a Belgian_American and live in Cali, Colombia and think the problem here is more of socio-economic discrimination than racism. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm always told that people here look more at one's character than race. I work as an English teacher and sometimes people discriminate because I'm a foreigner. I was told by the manager at Berlitz here in Cali , "What are you doing in my country? " personally I thought that was offensive. There is a lot of favoritism and nepotism. They hire someone because they are a cousin,aunt or son, that is why there are so many problems. Overall I enjoy the climate and the people. Sincerely Eddy J. Van Beeck